Je me suis procuré un fil de lin de marque Goldchild 100/3 mais il manque d’être suffisamment lisse et uniforme. Il a des imperfections que je qualifierais de rustiques. On me dit qu’il en est de même avec le fil Fresia et de tout autre fil de lin. S’il vous plaît, j’aimerais avoir autres opinions. Qu’en pensez-vous? Existe-t-il de nos jours un fil de lin suffisamment lisse pour des travaux fins comme la dentelle d'Alençon par exemple? Merci à tous.

I bought a brand linen thread Goldchild 100/3 but it fails to be sufficiently smooth and uniform. It has imperfections that I would describe as rustic. The salor told me it is the same with the Fresia and all the others linen thread. Please, I would like to have other opinions. What about you? Are there nowadays a sufficiently smooth linen thread for fine work like Alençon lace by example? Thank you all.

Views: 1062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found an interesting post in a blog on the Internet. I ignore who's the author, but it has a valuable quotation from aj old magazine series. Very interesting and well written post, I guess. Here is the link:

https://wroot.blog/2016/06/01/thoughts-on-seeing-a-piece-of-antique...
Oh, I found the author's profile now, the link of it is:

https://en.gravatar.com/colddrake

Very interesting.

I find really frustrating the fact that linen threads are not manufactured these days in the thickness we need. I was just wondering if we all (interested people here) could organize as a group in order to request a special manufactured order from any of the producers. Maybe if we were a big enough group with the money on the table, we could try convincing any of them... Toughts and ideas regarding this are welcome. I can't stand this anymore! I would like to create some Alençon lace but whith the available thicknesses of linen threads, it results impossible to obtain the wonderful contrast in the piece between a crystal like background and the elements laid over it. What do you think?

In case you are interested, please post: thee thrrads thicknesses you would like to buy, and up to how much could you pay for 1000 metets of each one. Thanks in advance. 

I found this, and in my opinion even we find very very fine threads, it would be too hard for work, because my eyes are not going well. I wondering how did they see in that time, 200 years ago, and there wasn´t magnifier?!

https://laceincontext.com/category/lacemakers-in-the-past/

Xiaoje, thanks for the link, it is very interesting. As for finer threads, I guess in a sense you are right : it would surely be difficult to do with them. I ignore how they did it in the past. Thankfully we do have magnifiers nowadays, there are lamps with magnigiers, or we could use a PC camera and see the magnified image of our lace in the PC display screen. Of course that takes a toll on eye health too... but my interest is based on the fact that when I look at ancient lace samples, Alençon lace for example, it seems to me that the beauty in them is mostly given by contrast between opaque and translucent areas, and then I look at modern samples on the Internet, and I feel that despite some of them being beautiful also, they miss something if compared with the old ones... And it all makes my motivation to learn decrease... I feel it takes too much time and effort to do a lace piece which at the end will look not even close as much stunning as those antique pieces... I mean, the ground should 'dissappear', it should be so much more translucent than it is with nowadays threads... I would be happy to go through more trouble if working with finer threads, if I knew I would get the result that they used to in the old times.

I found some extra fine threads on ebay. All of them are very fine and very strong, and nice for work. 

Oh they look gorgeous! I'm glad for you! I will try to find something similar. Do you happen to remember the link on eBay where you bought them from?

I searched "lin pour dentelles", or "fil a  dentelles ancienne", thats in French, and there are showed old threads from UK and USA, also. But have to be patient, sometimes there is no one offered. Good luck!

Verónica Castro said:

Oh they look gorgeous! I'm glad for you! I will try to find something similar. Do you happen to remember the link on eBay where you bought them from?

Back in the 1980s there was a brief time, of just 2 or 3 years, when linen threads in sizes 120/2 and 140/2 were manufactured. But after that initial batch was sold there has been no more. I understood it to be a problem with the linen plants not producing fine enough tubes, or the manufacturing methods not working well with the quality of linen fiber that was available. The 140/2 was comparable to DMC Retors 50/2 (a cotton which is also no longer available).

Carolyn's explanation of Feb 6 this year was quite interesting.

Xiaojie, Lorelei, sorry for the delay in my answer, and thanks so much for yours. Xiaojie, thanks for the tip, I will definitely put it in practice!!! :) Lorelei, thanks for adding more information, and yes, I also agree Carolyn's explanation was very instructive, at least it was for myself as I am just a beginner. Regarding my suggestion of us maybe paying for special order of finer threads (above), maybe I should add I would not even dream of them manufacturing a 6000/2 (was it the exact number mentioned by someone above, while talking about ancient linen threads?), I just wonder what would be the finest threads that they could manufacture with nowadays fibers and technology, maybe a 400/2 or 600/2? I don't know... The fact of me suggesting us to ask manufacturers if they could do it is just an idea as for reducing the risk that they take when they produce a given thickness. I mean, if we could gather many of us wanting to buy it, maybe paying for it before it be produced, the economic risk they would take would equal to zero, as they would have previously sold each unit. It's just an idea of course, and maybe it's not easy to get enough people together who want to do it. I guess maybe the guilds could help? Or experts who teach to so many students?... I don't know, maybe it sounds even crazy. It's just that I love Alençon lace, I spend so many hours just looking at old as much as contemporary samples of it, and it makes me just sad when I think that those beautiful new lace pieces I see some people make here, will possibly not last as much as old linen laces, because they have to use cotton (Egyptian cotton) in order to be able to use finer threads... It's hurting, you know, so much hard work it takes to learn and then to have a nice lace piece done, and such beautiful results I see out there, them being so fragile... I just wanted to see what people here think of my idea, or if a better alternative could arise? Thanks very much for taking the time to read the comments and answering to this beginner :) , I learn a lot of things thanks to your kindness and generosity <3. Big hug for you and everyone here!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service