Je me suis procuré un fil de lin de marque Goldchild 100/3 mais il manque d’être suffisamment lisse et uniforme. Il a des imperfections que je qualifierais de rustiques. On me dit qu’il en est de même avec le fil Fresia et de tout autre fil de lin. S’il vous plaît, j’aimerais avoir autres opinions. Qu’en pensez-vous? Existe-t-il de nos jours un fil de lin suffisamment lisse pour des travaux fins comme la dentelle d'Alençon par exemple? Merci à tous.

I bought a brand linen thread Goldchild 100/3 but it fails to be sufficiently smooth and uniform. It has imperfections that I would describe as rustic. The salor told me it is the same with the Fresia and all the others linen thread. Please, I would like to have other opinions. What about you? Are there nowadays a sufficiently smooth linen thread for fine work like Alençon lace by example? Thank you all.

Views: 779

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps Bart and Francis in Belgium would be interested? They are located in Kortrijk, a historical Flanders linen production city. And they work on specialized thread production. Here is a link to some linen thread that they produce now, which I have not tried yet: https://www.bart-francis.be/index.php?item=lino-flandrica-dentelle&...

But I predict that it would cost a lot for a small run. And it is essential to figure out exactly what characteristics of the thread are desired. Smooth? Supple? Lustrous? Fine? A range of sizes?

Personally I agree with Xiaojie that at one time I was interested in getting really fine thread, but now my eyes can't do that fine of work so I'd like to have really smooth, lustrous linen thread to work with even if it isn't as fine. But I also understand what Verónica means about the ethereal look of fine ground around more solid designs!

Looking back through the posts from 2015, I want to point out that some of the old fine "linen" thread sold in back-shops in Bruges is actually cotton - I have some that a friend bought for me in Bruges and have looked at it under the microscope. It's still old, wonderful thread, and beautifully fine and smooth. Somewhere in my research I learned that cotton was sometimes treated with talc or even lead to make it heavier and cooler to touch, to mimic linen. And that years ago the term "lin" could mean either linen/flax, or just fine thread.

Recently I was at a flax/linen workshop at the Marshfield School of Weaving in Vermont, USA, and the teacher said that back in his hometown in Scotland, the older women who used to hand spin flax told stories about using nettles to get really fine fiber for lace thread, which they sold as linen. 

Sorry to wander off the main topic! All these random but related factoids popped into my head....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service