It took me a long time to find a group that wasn't knitting or crochet. I hope to see more activities and interaction here? Does the group think about having a Facebook presence or Instagram presence? It'd be a nice feature to see how many members are actively online like this one art board I used to draw and critique.

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Things have been quiet here for the last 6 months. But our members are still paying attention. There was  a CHAT feature with this software, but it slowed down the response time all over our site. So I disabled it.  If you want to start a discussion about some particular aspect of lace I think you will get some responses. It may take a day or 2 for our members to notice.. Be patient and something will happen.

Thank you, I haven't seen too much posted in the discussion boards for a while :)

I would say that if there were a facebook group for this website, it would probably encourage more activity.  I know I'd likely be more active with it.  I come back and check on here once every six months to a year it seems.  I'm on facebook every day though.  

Lorelei Halley said:

Things have been quiet here for the last 6 months. But our members are still paying attention. There was  a CHAT feature with this software, but it slowed down the response time all over our site. So I disabled it.  If you want to start a discussion about some particular aspect of lace I think you will get some responses. It may take a day or 2 for our members to notice.. Be patient and something will happen.

I have created a facebook page for the purpose of leading people to this site, But checking with google analytics I find that more of our visitors comes from google searches and pinterest. One problem with facebook is that it seems to attract casual interest to various groups. But needle lace takes a long time to learn and master, chiefly a matter of  gaining complete control of the stitches.

Personally I think things have been quiet here because I have spent the last year reading books rather than making lace. And my less-than-perfect lace efforts have spurred our members to participate actively. In a month or 2 I will be ready to resume lace, and we should then see an uptick in activity.

Leslie, are you working on something at present, or do you have any idea that could use some feedback?

I'm mostly doing research at present.  I joined the SCA a year ago (a medieval group) and have been working on getting garb together for that.  I'm starting to find people in the SCA who do needle lace now, and will be beginning to work on projects as well as learning bobbin lace soon.  It's just been researching sixteenth century and older techniques that I've been doing now.  

You could do selective membership for any facebook group.  I was actually just denied from joining an advanced group for jewelry the other day because I'm not quite proficient enough for them, as annoying as that was.  It's just more of a supplement to the website is all.  *shrug*  But I'm a young-ish person and that tends to be my main form of communication these days.  

Leslie

There is a facebook group for EARLY LACE, and it includes both early needle lace and early bobbin lace.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/439658776139010/ 

I have been collecting photos of portraits of people wearing lace, and I am trying to sort them out by collar style. The purpose is to  develop an historical sequence of collar shapes, which is a clue to dating a particular style of lace.

I have been lurking for a while, not posting anything because I haven't been making lace.  I have, however, been doing a lot of research on the history of needlelace and identification of different types.  I posted recently on my blog about the history of French needlelace: https://www.robesdecoeur.com/blog/colbertism-and-french-needlelace .  Further posts are in the works, but I do tend to take a while writing them. 

Lorelei, your research project sounds really interesting!  Will you be posting it on your site? 

Appreciate this site's intent and goal, and L.Halley's years of giving to the industry. 

Karen

I just skimmed your account of French needle lace history. Very very interesting. I will go back to it later and read it carefully. Our members should check out your blog and the article.

Karen Roy said:

I have been lurking for a while, not posting anything because I haven't been making lace.  I have, however, been doing a lot of research on the history of needlelace and identification of different types.  I posted recently on my blog about the history of French needlelace: https://www.robesdecoeur.com/blog/colbertism-and-french-needlelace .  Further posts are in the works, but I do tend to take a while writing them. 

Lorelei, your research project sounds really interesting!  Will you be posting it on your site? 

Doris - Thanks!

Doris Hale said:

Appreciate this site's intent and goal, and L.Halley's years of giving to the industry. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service