Our lace group has a vendor coming in May, and I'd like to know what threads are good for needle lace. She carries a huge selection of Gutterman silk, and I've seen a lot of beautiful pieces done with that.

But she also carries a selection of threads for bobbin lace, and I haven't looked through those, and I'm not sure what would be good for me, as a beginner.

In your opinion, what makes a thread really good for needle lace?

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gutterman silk is fine to use in needle lace, as will do any other spun silk, it is meant to be used on the sewing machine. Sulky I have not seen until now. The only silk I do not like to work in needle lace is the silk we use in bobbin lace, as it is not spun it is sloppy and hard to knot of, but the finished pieces look very fine.

I always use the same thread for the cordonet as I use for the fillings, just for gaze point I use a much finer thread, and my cordonet is always a double thread.

Using a thread I do not know, I try it out in a little sample, to see how it behave and how it will look when worked. Of course I keep them, so if I want a special Texture I can choose what I will use , looking at my samples.

Alix
Alix, I use both Gutterman silk and Piper's silk for my bobbin lace. Is it the Piper's silk that is not good for needlelace?

Your suggestion of trying out a sample is great! I will keep this in mind when trying out different threads.

Alix Hengen-Muhlen said:
Gutterman silk is fine to use in needle lace, as will do any other spun silk, it is meant to be used on the sewing machine. Sulky I have not seen until now. The only silk I do not like to work in needle lace is the silk we use in bobbin lace, as it is not spun it is sloppy and hard to knot of, but the finished pieces look very fine.

I always use the same thread for the cordonet as I use for the fillings, just for gaze point I use a much finer thread, and my cordonet is always a double thread.

Using a thread I do not know, I try it out in a little sample, to see how it behave and how it will look when worked. Of course I keep them, so if I want a special Texture I can choose what I will use , looking at my samples.

Alix
I too, almost always use the same thread. It depends on the needlelace. In these beginner pieces we are doing and in these Zele, Gros point styles, stick to the same thread for outline theads, fillings and edges. Experiment when you get the basic tension.

Alix Hengen-Muhlen said:

Alix
Yes, I have used the Guttermans silk thread - on the blue reels, (same sized reels as their sewing cottons) S303. I like working with it, and the lace turns out well too. I think the Aquilegia that is in the Photos section was worked in that silk.

Guttermans Sulky #30 works up well, too. It is a cotton thread.

If you are using a blendable, then you can use that for the Cordonette if you like, or highlight the piece with a solid colour, - it is all personal preference. I usually lay in 2 threads to work over as this stops the stitches sinking in to the gaps betweens the wraps/stitches of the fillings. Just use the same thread as for the fillings.

If your use of the word cordonet means the outline threads,(name confusion here!!) not the finishing threads, then use a crochet cotton that is slightly thicker than the filling threads. If you haven't (or can't get) a thicker thread the same colour as your filling threads, - then use the closest you have, and make sure your cordonette stitches are very close together, and are worked over 2 or 4 laid threads to hide the difference in colour. You should not be able to see that there is a lighter (or darker) thread around your design. I have used white crochet cotton, and then used colourd thread for the fillings, and it is so well covered that you would not know!
Thank you very much folks. I did find a good place for silk. It should come in the mail soon. I got a couple different types coming so I can try them and let you know. But, silk is ONE DELICIOUS thread/fiber. I love the feel and the beautiful sheen.
Onna

Elizabeth Ligeti said:
Yes, I have used the Guttermans silk thread - on the blue reels, (same sized reels as their sewing cottons) S303. I like working with it, and the lace turns out well too. I think the Aquilegia that is in the Photos section was worked in that silk.

Guttermans Sulky #30 works up well, too. It is a cotton thread.

If you are using a blendable, then you can use that for the Cordonette if you like, or highlight the piece with a solid colour, - it is all personal preference. I usually lay in 2 threads to work over as this stops the stitches sinking in to the gaps betweens the wraps/stitches of the fillings. Just use the same thread as for the fillings.

If your use of the word cordonet means the outline threads,(name confusion here!!) not the finishing threads, then use a crochet cotton that is slightly thicker than the filling threads. If you haven't (or can't get) a thicker thread the same colour as your filling threads, - then use the closest you have, and make sure your cordonette stitches are very close together, and are worked over 2 or 4 laid threads to hide the difference in colour. You should not be able to see that there is a lighter (or darker) thread around your design. I have used white crochet cotton, and then used colourd thread for the fillings, and it is so well covered that you would not know!
Onna, I can't wait to hear your silk report. I like silk, too.
Devon

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service