Hello everyone,

I am a complete beginner regarding needlelace, and this is my first post. I am happy I have found this site, as I guess there are many experienced people here, and I learn a lot about lace making by reading their useful posts. 

I want to thank you very much for accepting me here.

I am attaching here a picture of my first try samples of Brussels. I have not access to good quality threads nor other supplies in my city (I am from Córdoba, Argentina). I had the awful idea of choosing a glossy material as for using it as parchemin, My thread is a machine embroidery, glossy, not so fine as I would like. It seems polyester thread. My cordonette thread is similar to cotton crochet, but it has not a number for its size. 

I am in love with point d'Alençon lace. I also like Reticello. 

For now, I want to learn and practice different lace stitches, and as you may have seen in my picture, I am far from good quality work... I have tension and spacing issues, and the thread I am using doesn't seem to stay where I need unless I hold it permanently under my thumb. I guess it's not ideal type of thread, as if it accidentally gets released, the complete row stitches loosen.

Well, thanks again, and I will be thankful for any critics, comments or recommendations you may have for me. 

:) Have a nice day! V

Views: 161

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Veronica - Your photo does not show up on my screen. Only a small sliver of the top, and the rest of the screen is dark. Can you post it again?  Remember that photo files on ning cannot excede 5 mb.

Also I suggest you give your photo a name with words someone might use in a search, like beginngneedlelace1. With that name people searching for needle lace will find your photo.

Lorelei, thanks very much for telling me it didn't show, I have uploaded a pic again and deleted the other one. Thanks! Have a nice day!

V

Lorelei Halley said:

Veronica - Your photo does not show up on my screen. Only a small sliver of the top, and the rest of the screen is dark. Can you post it again?  Remember that photo files on ning cannot excede 5 mb.

Also I suggest you give your photo a name with words someone might use in a search, like beginngneedlelace1. With that name people searching for needle lace will find your photo.

OK. Now I can see it. Every stitch in needle lace can be spaced according to the lace maker's wishes. But in general I would say that you have the stitches spaced a little further apart than most would do.  All of us use a a thumb to nail the just-made-stitch to the pattern, so it doesn't change size while we are working the next stitch. So that is perfectly normal.

I think most lace makers would urge you to work with natural thread such as cotton or linen.

Keep going. Don't stop. You have made a good start.

IMG_20190126_024512.jpg  Hello Lorelei, thank you so much for taking time to see my picture and for your great advice! By the way, I found a 90 size crochet cotton thread, it was only skein left in the local shop, and now that I am trying it I see you are so much right! Indeed, my spacing is improving and also my tension. This thread is 90 Super Gazed Mercerized Crochet Cotton, by La Meca. It stays where I need, it is so much better than the first thread I tried, but it is too thick for my test... Anyway, I will go on practicing while I figure out where I could buy a much finer thread. I would like to find the thinnest linen thread I could, but I don't know where I could buy it from. Thanks again, you have gave much encouragement and motivation to me. <3 Regards, V

Third attempt with Brussels stitch is finished. Still having trouble with tension and spacing, but getting there! Any comments / suggestions / critics will be welcome. Have you all a nice day!!! IMG_20190128_110817_edit.jpg

Looking better. Getting perfect tension and spacing is a matter of practice, lots of practice. Keep going. Generally the corded version of buttonhole stitch is used to make the dense areas of the lace, and they are spaced very close together. Here is a link to a page in my personal website. I am very far from the best lacemaker in our group. But it gives an idea of spacing differences.

http://lynxlace.com/needlelacestitches.html 

Thank you very much, Lorelei!!! I am decided to practice until I get it. I have been looking at pictures from experienced lace makers, and I know I am doing something wrong: At the start of each sample, for some reason, my stitches look bigger on both sides than in the center, then when I try to fix that in further rows, I end up with the fabric stretching towards the top in the center, and when I end the sample I have to stretch it back towards the bottom, so I can join it with the bottom side cordonette. I have seen videos of people making lace, and their fabric doesn't seem to stretch, instead each stitch is where it should be in their work. I am currently trying to work on this problem.

The works I have seen are so beautiful!!! And I feel I am so far from the perfection in them... But I knew from the start that learning how to make lace takes a long time. Now I see why!

Thank you very much again! I have been visiting your website and it is really an excellent source of information!!! Congratulations for it!!!

I will post a picture again only when I get to make something decent :). Big hug for you! 

V

Lorelei Halley said:

Looking better. Getting perfect tension and spacing is a matter of practice, lots of practice. Keep going. Generally the corded version of buttonhole stitch is used to make the dense areas of the lace, and they are spaced very close together. Here is a link to a page in my personal website. I am very far from the best lacemaker in our group. But it gives an idea of spacing differences.

http://lynxlace.com/needlelacestitches.html 

Hello Lorelei, I apologize for the two latest pics I uploaded, they don't show properly I know, I tried to delete them in that moment but my browser is not updated, and I could not find the delete button this time. It is because I only have Internet access through my old BlackBerry phone, which I will replace for a new one soon. I could not find a way to delete neither my pictures nor the posts. So I will try to do it from a cyber coffee somewhere here. It also happens with my profile picture, which is the same one and doesn't show either. I know we must be careful with storage space here also, so please if you want and can do it, don't hesitate to erase them all yourself. On another side, I guess I will not upload any more pictures until I get something more significant to show. Thanks very much in advance for understanding, and sorry so much for the inconveniences... :( Regards, V.
Lorelei, I finally managed to delete the pictures. I have created a Blogger blog for my pictures so I can post here just the links there to show them without using storage space here. I hope it helps and that they can be accessed without issues. Thanks very much!
An update of my Brussels stitch sampler, my third attempt on this stitch. Trying to improve tension and spacing. Here I made two different spacing samples. Picture here: https://myneedlemadelace.blogspot.com/2019/02/blog-post.html?m=1
Your spacing is much inproved, with same size stitches. Keep going.
Thank you Lorelei!!! I feel happy with it, I mean nothing spectacular but hey, I can't wait to get better and try doing some Alençon lace piece!!! That dream keeps me going. Big hug for you!!! <3

RSS

© 2019   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service