I followed the Michael Dennis tutorial for a sort of starting point, because they really are formatted quite well.  For more info, I made a blog post on this site, so I'm just going to post the pics.  They aren't straight on pictures, so forgive me that.  Hopefully you can take that into consideration.  

Views: 157

Replies to This Discussion

Very well done.  You are going well. Your stitches are nice and even.

I hope you have enjoyed making this piece, and that it has inspired you to keep going with the craft.  You will never stop learning - there is always something "New" that turns up, - or a different type of needlelace, or a different way of doing a technique.  It will keep you going for Many Years!!!!!!!!

Thank you =)  I did enjoy this piece, and I've already got my next three planned out.  I think I'm going to do a bookmark to practice four new stitches, and then work on this lotus design I found.  Then i'll be on to the project I really want to do.  Want two more pieces for practice first though.  

I've bot so many ideas, it's hard to know where to start first without just jumping in and trying them all!

Elizabeth Ligeti said:

Very well done.  You are going well. Your stitches are nice and even.

I hope you have enjoyed making this piece, and that it has inspired you to keep going with the craft.  You will never stop learning - there is always something "New" that turns up, - or a different type of needlelace, or a different way of doing a technique.  It will keep you going for Many Years!!!!!!!!

Leslie

Did you see my response to your blog post?  We do have 2 albums of patterns, one for beginners.

one   two    

Yeah, sorry.  I can't see where I can reply to posts on my blog.  Not sure if I'm missing something or not?  Still trying to get a hang of the site layout. 

I actually have the leaf printed out, though I'm not sure if it will be next or not.  I have a bookmark of squares I made (reproducing a free pattern on one of the tutorial sites) that I thought I'd use next.  Just four little squares, but it will give me the opportunity to try some of these weirder stitches that look interesting.  

I've found that looking up stained glass patterns seems like a good place to start with simple patterns.  There are a lot of really simplified images that look like they'll probably look pretty good as lace.  Is this a common practice?

Lorelei Halley said:

Leslie

Did you see my response to your blog post?  We do have 2 albums of patterns, one for beginners.

one   two    

Yes, "make haste slowly" as the old saying goes. a bookmark to try out stitches sounds very sensible.  Simple stitches worked well, is much better than complex stitches worked badly!

Needlelace adapts itself to all sorts of patterns, - I have an Italian book on the laces of Venice, and shows wrought iron gates, etc as designs and inspiration for lace!

Leslie

Take a look at the album of contemporary needle lace. Those are pieces designed by one of us, or made from some kind of drawing or photo. That will give you an idea of how others have used pre-existing designs. Stained glass is a good idea, too.

http://needlelacetalk.ning.com/photo/albums/contemporarymodern-need...

There are actually 4 albums of contemporary designs. Some are more modern than others. There is a wide range of possibilities. That is what makes needlelace such a stimulating technique.

Awesome, I'll go check them out now =)  Thanks.

Lorelei Halley said:

Leslie

Take a look at the album of contemporary needle lace. Those are pieces designed by one of us, or made from some kind of drawing or photo. That will give you an idea of how others have used pre-existing designs. Stained glass is a good idea, too.

http://needlelacetalk.ning.com/photo/albums/contemporarymodern-need...

There are actually 4 albums of contemporary designs. Some are more modern than others. There is a wide range of possibilities. That is what makes needlelace such a stimulating technique.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service