I am just about to start my first pattern and was wondering about the need for a pillow. All the tutorials i have watched on line have been worked without a pillow.  But the "how to" book i bought shows a bolster pillow. So i was wondering how other beginners have got on and if their preference has changed with experience.

How much difference does a pillow make to tension and structure and is it worth the investment

What thread would you suggest for a first piece.  

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

I am far from being an expert at needle lace. But my experience is that small pieces can be worked in the hand, without a pillow. Where I found a pillow useful is in working a large piece, more than 7 or 8 inches in diameter. A pillow lets you use both hands to control the thread. But I would like to hear from others as well.

I rarely use a pillow. I find it easier to work in the hand.

I suppose it is what you get used to!  I do have a small pillow - made from a coffee tin wrapped in a few layers of wool fabric or felt (can't remember which!), and covered with a navy cotton fabric  which I can pin my pattern-on-a-pad to. I made a carry bag ofr it with room for the stick to raise the work area, so it is "fulkly contained" if I need it, - but usually I just have a small partly worked piece on there when I do a demonstration, just to show how Needlelace is made.

A thicker thread, like Perle 8 or 12 sould be Ok for starting needlelace.  It depends what book you are going to learn from.

The Guild of Needlelaces 2 little books are Excellent, and would get you going very well. You do Not have to belong to the Guild to buy them, See their web site.

Starting Needlepoint Lace by Val Grimwood is another good beginners book -- in my opinion!

Starting with Lorelei's instructions here would also get you going Very well!

Good luck.

I am new to needle lace too. I bought a needle lace pillow that is made and put on a wooden box. You can open the box and put your needlelace tools inside. I bought it from England over the internet and the retired gentleman who made it makes beautiful needle lace tools. I just got a new labtop so I have to look him up if you are interested.  I don't know if I can load pictures so you can see it.

Tina Heron said:

Hi sandra yes please i would love his detials.

Sandra Popek said:

I am new to needle lace too. I bought a needle lace pillow that is made and put on a wooden box. You can open the box and put your needlelace tools inside. I bought it from England over the internet and the retired gentleman who made it makes beautiful needle lace tools. I just got a new labtop so I have to look him up if you are interested.  I don't know if I can load pictures so you can see it.

Sandra Popek said:

Hi Tina, this is the Link to the website that Gentleman from England makes needle lace boxes with needle lace pillows on them. Remember the price is in English Pounds and you have to convert to US Dollars. http://www.needlepaws.com/needle-lace-1/

Tina Heron said:

Hi sandra yes please i would love his detials.

Sandra Popek said:

RSS

© 2017   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service