This part explains how to lay down the skeleton of the lace -- the major circles and the spokes.

These are Xiaojie's photographs. I just tried to make them easier to use, by putting them into a sequence where you can switch easily from one to the next..

Views: 328

Replies to This Discussion

If anyone detects a mistake in the sequence of the photos, please tell me.

Great work, Lorelei. Thank you. 

The diagram of the knot is helpful, too.

Lovely lace! Might I ask as to what material is being used for the pattern? Is it similar to a bobbin lace pricking?

Similar, but not identical. Most of us use a paper pattern with a layer of sticky plastic on top. That prevents the ink from the design on the paper from rubbing off on the lace (which is usually white). And underneath the paper is 2 or more layers of cloth. So it is a sandwich -- cloth cloth paper-with-sticky-plastic.  I found rolls of the plastic in the closet department at a Walmart store.

So this would be similar to the "sandwich" technique used with other needle laces? I'm also wondering if polar graph paper could be used for the pattern "guidelines". I've also noticed that the Croatian lacemakers will use a pillow underneath the pattern--again, similar to bobbin lace?

Yes, Hollie, the sandwich is similar to other Needle laces.

Polar graph paper? - Now that might be an idea!  I will think about that, - and be interested in what others think.  I have only made one piece of Pag Lace.

Many needle lacemakers work on a pillow - usually a cylindrical one, with the 'sandwich' pinned on top, and a stick is  passed through under the sandwich to rais e the bit that is being worked on. Personally, I prefer to work in the hand not on a pillow.

I’ve seen the pillow setup with the stick. I’d think working in hand would be more comfortable for me.

I’ve used polar graph paper in working Teneriffe, so I can’t see why it couldn’t work with Pag lace.

Thanks for the help!

If you are familiar with the Polar Grids - then give it a go, and see if it works.

(No Thought Police will be looking over your shoulder!!!  :) )

Yes, the sandwich idea is used with much of western and central European needle lace. As to the pillow -- personally I find a pillow useful if I am working a large piece, where I can't fold or bend the sandwich enough to be able to reach the center of the piece. For small pieces, working in the hand is better for me. The shape of the pillow is a matter of personal preference. But notice that the lady in the video us using a mushroom pillow with more of a convex shape than for a bobbin lace pillow. For needle lace, you want a pillow shape that gives you a curve so your needle can easily hook onto other threads. That is also why the thick stick is used between the pattern sandwich and the pillow. It makes the pattern curve away from the needle.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service