I am very grateful for this group! I am obviously new to neelelace and was wondering if there was a discussion somewhere on choosing thread given the project"s size? I do not have any books as of yet. I ordered C Barley's, but it has not arrived. I'd like to place an order for various threads and did not know which would be good basic ones to have on hand. I just have basic embroidery threads for whitework.

Views: 288

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, couch with regular sewing thread.  

Practice the stitches with heavier threads first.  When they feel comfortable, move down to a finer thread. Between the practice with the Gutterman silk, next try the ground with your 80/2.  Then try the 120/2 again.  I like to have a hex grid that is the size I want the ground to be stitched and put a printed copy of it behind my work. Sorry I can't find the url for the site that has free grids to download.   

Loretta, thank you for the words of encouragement. I will try the ground with the 80/2. I am seeing improvement using the Gutterman. I am having difficulty with the English stitch. I will look for the site with the hex grid. What would be a good size for the hex grid?

I'm attaching a stitch diagram.  I like doing the twisted stitch working with the needle away from me.  The example shows the Alençon ground where the return is whipped.  But for Point de Gaze, the return from right to left is the same.  The working thread is held behind the needle.  Grasp the thread near the eye of the needle and wrap it counterclockwise around the point of the needle to end up with what is pictured.  As you work from left to right it puts a double twist on the stitch.  Working from right to left it is only a 1½ twist.  Both directions, wrap the thread from the eye counterclockwise.  

I'd try grids that are between 10 and 15 squares or hex shapes per inch across.  The finer the thread, the smaller the grid.  

What a lovely clear diagram, Loretta. than k you.

I, too work the twisted stitch with the needle away!  I just can't seem to work it the other way, now, though I work Most stitches with the needle towards me.

Thank you indeed! I will try to be a good student tomorrow. I will share once I succeed. Not sure if I can think upside down ;0). Upside down must mean needle away.

I can't seem to get myself to do "needle away" for the plain buttonhole stitch, but for the twisted stitch, once I learned to do it this way, it seems the easiest for me.  

Loretta

What is the original source of your diagram? Or is it your own artwork? I want to add it to our album of stitch diagrams but I want to give credit to the draftsman.

It is my own diagram.  Feel free to add it to the stitch diagrams with credit.  I have a bunch more diagrams too.  How can I get them to you, Lorelei for use in the albums?  

Loretta

Just post them to our PHOTOS. When I see they are there, I will add them to our album of STITCHES AND STITCH DIAGRAMS. Yours are very neat. I am so glad to have your contributions.

Her instructions are very precise too!
Well, that didn't go all that great. My stitches are very uneven, but I did feel a little more comfortable with the 120/2. Not sure if my stitches are about the right size. I managed 12 per inch across. Will need a lot of practice. I do have a question about the Egyptian Cotton, though. It has a lot of "memory". It starts to curl to the point where it tangles only after two-three rows. I had to repeatedly start with a new thread. Any suggestions?
Attachments:

Let your needle dangle often to get the kinks out.  With finer threads, I knot my thread to the needle so it does not drop off when I dangle the needle and thread.  To knot a thread to the needle, first thread it.  Then with about 3 inches pulled through, make a loop in this thread like a written letter E.  Bring the point of the needle up through the E  from the bottom, and snug the knot at the eye of the needle.  

RSS

© 2017   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service