Recently I was going through the Snow Queen and Henley Bridge I wanted to know how she achieves so much of dimensions and character to a monochrome Lace!!!

how does corounes are added to the net background?? I tried to think of an explanation but I couldn't come up with one.. it's like a cute puzzle!!

And In her Sampler 4 how was all the fancy filling done??

and in her Point De Gaze Fan how does she continues doing the strip even without any pattern to lay the cordonet on??

Can Anyone explain how is that delicate gauze like effect is achieved (the process of laying net) and the different densities achieved?? does only corded Brussels is used to show density variation as in light and shadow??

Is there any Video how the Net background being done?? it looks so delicate and gauzy!!!

It's all so exciting to learn and understand!!! 

I Will try it once I get to that level, not now.. But it's still fun to just Know how it's done!! 

Views: 574

Replies to This Discussion

Liz to find out how to do the circle in sampler 4, some details of this are shown on page 100 of the Hill and Gibson book Needlelace Stitches classic and contemporary.  Let me know if you dont have this book and I will put instructions in.

Thank you, Maureen. You are a fount of knowledge!  I thought I had seen it somewhere, besides in that lovely sampler. Yes I have a Hill & Gibson (don't know how I managed all those years without it. I managed to get a 2nd hand copy about 5 years ago!!)

It is an interesting filling, and I Must try it - soon!!!  This book calls it a Looped Star, (for those who like names to look up.)

I recently did the scalloped shell wheel on the next page. - and my bookmark (a folded tissue!!!) covered the Looped star!!

Yes I have bookmarks - plenty of them,- but a (clean) tissue was close handy at the time!!!!!! :)

Lorelei ma'am I have ordered her that book :D !! I dunno when it will get to me but I will get that :) 

Maureen ma'am thanks for sharing on the knowledge !! am so thrilled to know about it all

In that Fan sampler how did she tackle the cordonet!! I mean usually the double thread foundation of a design is closed to itself right?? how could she achieve it if the designs are connected by motifs?? and how can she keep continuing in sections?? wouldn't it be like each time she has to lay down the cordonet??

Yes, Lakshmi, she would have to lay a new cordonnet each time she started a new section.  However, when she finished one section, the edge of it would have cordonnet unfinished, and when she started the new section, she'd lay new cordonnet over that edge; then when she was done, she would buttonhole over the doubled up section same as the rest, thus tying old and new section together.

Ah! I see That explains it all But One.. (am so sorry ) doesn't that create a lumpy part right in the middle of the piece and as such ruin the seamless continuity effect ??

I think that her thread is fine enough to start with that having one of the cordonnets doubled doesn't make it huge.  In the picture, it looks seamless... very beautiful!

I think the end of the section, - with the cordonette already laid was not laid again - the one already laid was then just used to "hang the filling stitches on". Catherine would just lay a new outline for the next section of work, and when completed, only Then would the cordonette be worked over that edge-of-section piece. 

I have seen a photo of the work in progress, ( a while ago) and I think that is how it was worked. She only laid the outlines once for each section, and did not double up at the 'join' of the sections.

Well, Maureen, I had a go at the Looped Star, - and made a "Dog's Breakfast" of it!!. I will have to cut it out and try again. Tension, of course was the culprit, I think, but if I tightened up, the stitch slipped underneath the previous stitch. Grrr!!

Our weather was terrible - up around 43-44C (110F) so it was really too hot to concentrate, even with the air conditioning working overtime!  Now it is cooler, I will try again!  If you have any helpful hints, or tips or suggestions I would be glad to hear them!  It is an interesting feature stitch that I would like to get right.

It was much more 'puffy' than it looks, - 3 layers of thread, of course, but I suppose it would flatten out afterwards.

Liz. Yes I think the tension might be a little loose and the high temperatures in weather doesn't help either. I looked at Cathy's one on her website and she only has eight rays. How about using a thicker thread and doing eight rays, or make the circle smaller? If you make the circle smaller you could do less rounds of stitches, it looks as if she has less. Maybe that is when you 'loose' control of it. But the theory is correct isn't it? Do you work on a pillow or in your hand? Would changing how you normally work it help? Don't have time to have a go at the minute, am frantically trying to get a garter done and am about half way. But I plan to have a go at this as well as the other things on here.

It looks good to me.  My only suggestion: fill the tub from the cold water tap (of course it won't be cold), and dump in a large sack of ice cubes (or 2 or 3). Jump in.  I don't even want to think about 110 F.

Thank you both for your suggestions!!!  :)  The weather has cooled now to a reasonable "liveable" temperature.  I contacted Catherine, and she has given some suggestions, but yes it is tension, and probably the circle is too large. It might be the way I pull up each stitch, too. I will try pulling the needle towards me, rather than out sideways.

I will scrap the idea of using that stich in this piece, and go with a simpler filling, but I will try this again on a smaller circle. I am Determined to get it right, as it is an interesting filling - neat and "different".  I Like it!

I am using a #80 crochet cotton - feels thick to me!!  I usually use finer thread! (though the eyes prefer this thicker thread - even with the magnifier!!)

RSS

© 2019   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service