What's the latest word on domestic air travel (within the U.S.) with embroidery/tapestry needles?  Are TSA and the airlines ok with them?  I have a trip coming up in a few weeks, and I would love to be able to work on my needlelace during the flights and layovers.  I plan to keep 3-4 in a small needlebook along with a small threader/cutter so that I don't need scissors.  (My bigger tool kit, along with my tatting shuttle, will be in my checked luggage.)

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've traveled extensively (both within the US and overseas) for work over the last 10 years and have never had a problem going through security with needles in my carry-on bag. Just be sure that they are in something protective so that if TSA decides to search your bag, they won't get stabbed. I've held my breath while being searched on more than one occasion because I forgot to check that, knowing that I am normally rather casual about the topic so I routinely stab myself in my work bags and purses with needles stuck in various projects :-D

Thanks for the info.  Good point about the needles.  I'm getting ready to make a couple of needlebooks, one for my carry-on and a more extensive tool/needle kit for my checked luggage (as well as carrying with me in the car).  Hopefully they won't bother with the needlebook, or if they do, at least they won't get stabbed.

Amy O'Malley said:

I've traveled extensively (both within the US and overseas) for work over the last 10 years and have never had a problem going through security with needles in my carry-on bag. Just be sure that they are in something protective so that if TSA decides to search your bag, they won't get stabbed. I've held my breath while being searched on more than one occasion because I forgot to check that, knowing that I am normally rather casual about the topic so I routinely stab myself in my work bags and purses with needles stuck in various projects :-D

Just as an update, I didn't get my needlebooks made in time, so I kept my embroidery and tapestry needles in their original packages.  However, I had no trouble with my needles, Aerlit tatting shuttles (didn't try the US-made metal Boye one), and Loran needle threader in my carry-on.  I didn't try carrying on my cheapy embroidery scissors (wasn't about to take my Dovo or Marks ones with me), tweezers, magnet wand, nail clippers, or seam gauge, even though the TSA Web site says those are all allowed (as are knitting and crochet needles).  I put all those into checked luggage instead.  I put everything into ziplocked bags, so at least TSA could see them before reaching their hands into the dark recesses of my carry-on.  As with the expensive scissors, I left my Bohin needles home, just in case.  For the record, the wheel type thread cutters are specifically FORBIDDEN in carry-ons, although you can put them into checked luggage.  I was really surprised you could carry on small scissors (3.5" blade or less) but not the those.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service