i would like to open this thread for the discussion of turkish oya needle lace techniques. we need a place to share our attempts (failures or successes!), questions, tips and generally a place to help each other learn this style of lace. hopefully we can learn more as a group than as serperate members who are trying to learn on our own!! i would like to keep this area of the topic of turkish oya needle lace, because i see some cross over on the comments wall about the italian version of puncetto, and i would like to see the two kept seperate so as not to cause confusion for those who are learning!

Views: 2665

Replies to This Discussion

In Elena's class at IOLI we were always doing the plain knotted stitch as we made edgings and doilies, but she said we would be using the corded knotted stitch for the flowers. She is giving a class in flower making in Portland in August. I just heard the class is filled.

Lorelei Terry Halley said:
I think you all are getting close to the point of clarifying the differences. This is exciting to watch. Is it possible that this discussion of the loose thread is a corded knotted stitch, as an alternate to a plain knotted stitch, and that both are parts of the tradition? (I don't really know anything, this is just what comes to mind.)
AHA!!! so the corded stitch is indeed a part of turkish knotted lace. to clarify i mean that it is BEST to use it in some instances, instead of just being optional. that brings us another step closer to understanding the stitches used in these laces.
I have the book "priscila armenian lace" of 1923, I think this free copyraight, if so, could share it with you ....
YES, isabel!!! i also have downloaded a copy of the priscilla book! i meant to put a link here, but completely forgot! it IS out of copyright, meaning anyone can download it on the internet, or share it, as isabel has offered. i haven't had a LOT of time to go over it, though. and the copy i downloaded for some reason has all the pages separate, rather than being like an actual book, so i have to open each page individually. a quick google search will bring up places where you can download it.
If it is already on the internet, you can post a link here to the place where you got it. But don't post pages of the pamphlet itself.
Just now I created a separate OYA/TURKISH/ARMENIAN group.
In Elena's class (Hi, Loretta!) she also said that Oya has a double wrap around the needle, and makes a larger knot. (I have mentioned this in the Oya group). I have not tried it yet!

I wound up with just scraps in class, as I kept cutting off and starting again!! However, I was busy learning different techniques, and not worrying about perfection! I learned a lot, and seeing Armenian lace for real, not just in photos made me realize just what a pretty lace it is, and has got me all inspired!!!
Elena's work is just beautiful, and sets a high standard for us all to reach!

I have several books on Armenian needlelace and both of Elena Dickson's books. I've made a few flower oya and once did most of a handkerchief border in fine thread before I left it at a cafe. :-(  I've seen the basic stitch worked in both directions, sometimes over a thread carried across the row and sometimes not.

When I was trying to learn from Dickson's books I found the stylized graphics that she used for various loops a bit confusing, especially for side loops. Hmm. Maybe I should make some knotted lace animations when I've exhausted my limited knowledge of Puncetto. :-)

I seem to have a Mental Blank with the end of a round, and the stitch to go up to the next round! Doesn't it add a stitch?  The book says not, but..???!!!  Anyway, my work seems to be Ok, but I go by Hope, not science!!! :)

Avital! I would so love to see the animations if you ever could find time. I am in Oya up to my chin. :) You are so good at this animation. I too have found some videos they go L>R with a straight return. Some flip the work and go back and forth. Each has a definite difference in the final outcome. One is more of  a triangular looking/hex type that is with the return st. The other seems for me so much easier and more easy to control my loops.

I do have a question. I have used a tapestry needle #24 gold finished needles(22k), since I started. Then reread the supplies list in Elena's books. Calls for a #3 darning needle. So My question is, is this more for length and slimness? I have a fav. longer slim needle that I do use and seems a bit better for double knots * double wraps. Is this basically a whatever works or is there a specific reason. ie; Do I need to go find a #3 darning needle?

Onna

Avital said:

I have several books on Armenian needlelace and both of Elena Dickson's books. I've made a few flower oya and once did most of a handkerchief border in fine thread before I left it at a cafe. :-(  I've seen the basic stitch worked in both directions, sometimes over a thread carried across the row and sometimes not.

When I was trying to learn from Dickson's books I found the stylized graphics that she used for various loops a bit confusing, especially for side loops. Hmm. Maybe I should make some knotted lace animations when I've exhausted my limited knowledge of Puncetto. :-)

Onna, I always use a tapestry needle.  The Darners have a sharp point, and I prefer a blunt one!

Hi, Onna, unfortunately, I'm in the middle of preparations for Passover, so I'm up to my ears in cleaning supplies! I won't have time for a while but thanks for reminding me that I'd mentioned doing animations for Oya.

I agree with Elizabeth -- I always use a tapestry needle because I don't like stabbing myself. Use whatever works for you!

Avital

RSS

© 2021   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service