What thread count should I be looking for in linen fabric for Aemilia Ars drawn thread work?  And what weight?  I would guess that shadow work linen (almost like a batiste) is too thin, correct?  Do you have a recommended brand and type?

Views: 52

Replies to This Discussion

Trin

Aemilia Ars is worked in a fairly thick thread e.g. Perle No. 12 or equivalent and so the linen fabric  should be of similar weight. I use 32 count Linen  and this goes very well.  Aemilia Ars is mainly used for household linen and so the linen and thread  needs to be fairly robust. Margaret  

There is no linen involved in the making of Aemilia Ars lace but it is daddies to linen afterwards mostly. 
I use any fine count linen such as 36 count & above.

Thank you, Margaret!  I hope you are recovering well from your surgery!

Margaret Stephens said:

Trin

Aemilia Ars is worked in a fairly thick thread e.g. Perle No. 12 or equivalent and so the linen fabric  should be of similar weight. I use 32 count Linen  and this goes very well.  Aemilia Ars is mainly used for household linen and so the linen and thread  needs to be fairly robust. Margaret  

Interesting.  The very first project in Book One of the Quaderni di Aemilia Ars Basic Course requires a 16"x16" piece of linen fabric.  It's an edging that is stitched directly onto the fabric, not attached after the edging is completed.

Lynette Hale said:

There is no linen involved in the making of Aemilia Ars lace but it is daddies to linen afterwards mostly. 
I use any fine count linen such as 36 count & above.

Carolyn Wetzel  You actually studied with the Aemilia Ars school in Italy, correct?  What type of linen do they use there?

I just heard back from Bianca Rosa Bellomo, one of the authors of the Basic Course books.  She writes that the type of fabric you use depends on the thread size you are using.  If you are using size 50 or 60 cordonnet, you want linen that is about 15x15 threads per cm (38x38 threads per inch), but if you are using size 70 or 80 cordonnet, she recommends linen that is 20x20 threads per cm (51x51 threads per inch).

She also gave me the Web site for a linen supplier in Bologna that they often use, Conti e Molinari.  I haven't yet checked to see what shipping to the U.S. would cost, but the prices for the fabrics are very good (about $35 per meter at current exchange rates) for 180cm width.  Here's the Web site:

UPDATE:  I went through the ordering process up to the shipping information, but the U.S. doesn't seem to be an option in their dropdown menu, although Bianca assured me that they ship all over the world.  I may have to email them directly to inquire.

Another update:  Conti e Molinari assures me that they do ship to the U.S.  I priced out some 38-count linen fabric (made by Graziano), and even with shipping to the U.S., it's slightly more than HALF the price of the EXACT same fabric from American suppliers!  I will be ordering some this weekend!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service