I'm not sure I'm happy with this pea stitch (center section).  It looks so messy to me.  Will it look right by the time I finish the square?  (First section is corded single Brussels, second section is Ardenza.)

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

I also found that one difficult, especially getting the spacing right. I think part of your problem may be tensioning.. Assuming you are right handed: the needle is in your right hand and makes the stitches. But as soon as you make the sitch,  put your left thumb on it to hold it down and keep it from sliding around. Left hand keeps the stitch where it belongs, right hand works the needle. Try that and see if it helps.

Part of my problem is that I'm not sure what the RIGHT tension is for this stitch.  I've done a search for images of good examples of pea stitch (not just diagrams of how to make it), but haven't found many, especially close ups.

I'm trying to use a somewhat open stitch for this section, and pea stitch seemed to be a good choice.  Is there a better choice (i.e. an open stitch that is easier for a beginner to get right)?

Here are my examples. I'm not the best lace maker in the world, but it is a place to start.

http://lynxlace.com/needlelacestitches.html#pea%20stitch%20variants... 

Also look at our PHOTOS section.

I think it is a matter of lots of practice with these stitches, Trinity.  they are not easy to do to keep them even, and just keep going with them, and the more you do, the better it (should!) become.

The  Guild of Needlelaces (now non-existent) had a great little booklet on working the stitches, and small projects which featured them. I believe the UK Lace Guild now sells them - or they did when the Needlelace Guild folded. 

Actually, there were 2 booklets and they were both Well worth getting if you can find them.  I will check with the UK guild, and get back to you with a link, - if they are still available.

Yes, the Guild still sells copies of the 2 books, and they have given them new covers!  They are prices at £7.50 each.

https://www.laceguild.org/shop-7  should get you there!  They are just a very soft cover, and are small booklets, but written to Needlelacers, - and I wish they had been there when I started this craft!!  If they were - then I did not know about them for some years!!!  I had the privilege of having a class with Catherine Barley.  Wonderful!!  Check out Her website for some eye candy!!!  I found the series of photos taken as she worked her Henly Bridge piece very educational and helpful, as I worked a piece that was a picture,  and her Ice skater is stunning!!

Thanks, Elizabeth!  I had looked for these a while back, but all I found was dead links to the defunct Guild of Needlelaces.  I wish I could purchase them for electronic download.  The shipping cost is more than the price of the books themselves.

I have also been to Catherine Barley's Web site and oohed and ahhed over her work, including her ice skater.  Stunning is right!  I see she has republished her book as a print-on-demand.  I wish more lace-making authors would so the same, so that these books would stay in print indefinitely.

Elizabeth Ligeti. said:

Yes, the Guild still sells copies of the 2 books, and they have given them new covers!  They are prices at £7.50 each.

https://www.laceguild.org/shop-7  should get you there!  They are just a very soft cover, and are small booklets, but written to Needlelacers, - and I wish they had been there when I started this craft!!  If they were - then I did not know about them for some years!!!  I had the privilege of having a class with Catherine Barley.  Wonderful!!  Check out Her website for some eye candy!!!  I found the series of photos taken as she worked her Henly Bridge piece very educational and helpful, as I worked a piece that was a picture,  and her Ice skater is stunning!!

I hadn't seen that these two books were available, and went to look myself. And yes, the shipping for me to Australia is almost as much as the books. I'm still tempted, with that strong a recommendation from Elizabeth. Hmmmm....

I have bought Catherine Barley's book from her and it is beautiful and so so useful. A lovely book and I am so pleased I own a copy. Her work is amazing, and it's great to be able to really look closely at her example pieces (and the other well chosen examples in the book).

Still thinking about those booklets now...

Trinity said:

Thanks, Elizabeth!  I had looked for these a while back, but all I found was dead links to the defunct Guild of Needlelaces.  I wish I could purchase them for electronic download.  The shipping cost is more than the price of the books themselves.

I have also been to Catherine Barley's Web site and oohed and ahhed over her work, including her ice skater.  Stunning is right!  I see she has republished her book as a print-on-demand.  I wish more lace-making authors would so the same, so that these books would stay in print indefinitely.

I just sent a message to the Lace Guild, asking about the possibility of purchasing the books in a digital download format.  I will let you know what I find out.

Michelle H said:

I hadn't seen that these two books were available, and went to look myself. And yes, the shipping for me to Australia is almost as much as the books. I'm still tempted, with that strong a recommendation from Elizabeth. Hmmmm....

Yes, shipping costs are astronomical these days, and have put the stop to my buying most things from overseas, unfortunately. Book Depository has free shipping I believe, but they would not carry these 2 little books I am afraid. Only the Lace Guild has them.

Catherine's book is Priceless. I have learned SO much from it. Well worth every penny it costs!!

Starting Needlepoint Lace by Valerie Grimwood is another very good book for beginners. It has lots of stitches in it, and I have found it very useful  May be hard to find, now, but try 2nd hand shops, etc. 

That would be ideal if it's possible. Thanks so much for following this up.

Trinity said:

I just sent a message to the Lace Guild, asking about the possibility of purchasing the books in a digital download format.  I will let you know what I find out.

Michelle H said:

Michelle, I just heard back from the Lace Guild.  They said that they don't currently offer the books in a digital download format, but they will check with their publications team to see whether it's something they could do.  I encouraged them to consider offering their other books for digital download, as well.  They could charge the same price but eliminate the cost of printing, and save us the cost of postage at the same time.  I would be willing to purchase more of their books if I could buy them in digital format.  They also mentioned that Holly van Sciver (in New York) carries the two needlelace booklets, but the price is much higher, probably to cover not only the books but also the postage from the U.K., so it comes out the same for me as ordering them directly from the Lace Guild, and it doesn't help you at all.

Michelle H said:

That would be ideal if it's possible. Thanks so much for following this up.

Another place to get hard to find books is project Gutenburg.   It is a site with free domain books all digital. 

https://www.gutenberg.org/

RSS

© 2021   Created by Lorelei Halley.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service